Monday, January 5, 2009

The Unbearable Whimsy of Colm Chapter II: The Boring Sponge

The Boring Sponge. Is it an animal? A fish? A Fungus? I don't know. I found out about this...thing(?) in an aquarium on my recent holiday in France.

Places such as aquariums i.e Zoos, Safari Parks, Theme Parks, use attractions or exhibits to get people to visit their Zoo, Aquarium...etc. but how something called the "Boring Sponge" can be an attraction is beyond me. I know this is petty, and that there were a lot more interesting fish there... But I stood beside a huge tank of water, looking at something called the Boring Sponge. It was a Sponge, and I was bored. Money was exchanged in order for me to view a Boring Sponge.

Maybe if it wasn't called the Boring Sponge, I wouldn't be so puzzled, but the Aquarium had the audacity to make me pay to look at this. I don't think it even moves, or eats. Its sole purpose is To Be. So, you could argue that it was at least attractive to look at, like how some people might like looking at flowers. But It looked like something I might stand in....

Anyway, I moved on and discovered the horrors of the "Horseshoe Crab". Freaky. Anyway Rant over. Its just what a pointless exhibit, and animal.... what function does it serve other than to fill gaps in Aquariums, and annoy people like me to the point they waste a few minutes writing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment